ValuNet Fiber to Award $3,000 to Help Students Dream Bigger
Award to support STEM project for K-12 school or organization
Feb. 25, 2021 – Emporia, Kansas – Schools and organizations serving K-12 students in Emporia have the opportunity to win $3,000 to fund their science, technology, engineering or math project or club as part of ValuNet Fiber’s annual “Dream Bigger” social media campaign.
K-12 schools and organizations can enter to win simply by sharing a photo and written entry outlining how the money will be used to fund their technology project – whether for equipment, competition fees, field trips or otherwise – and how it benefits students. The winning entry will receive a $3,000 award.
“The diverse and innovative ways students in the communities we serve utilize technology both inside and outside of the classroom is impressive and paves the way for our future,” said Trish Niemann, Senior Director of Corporate Communications. “In an increasingly digital world, made more evident during the Coronavirus pandemic, we are excited to see how technology is helping students dream bigger, and we want to do our part to help make those dreams happen.”
Entries will be accepted from March 1 through March 19 at myvalunet.com/contest. Five finalists will be selected by ValuNet and the winner will be determined by public voting from March 22 through March 31. The finalists – as well as the school or organization selected to receive the award – will be highlighted on ValuNet’s social media channels, including Facebook.
About ValuNet Fiber
ValuNet Fiber is a leading broadband communications provider and part of the Cable One family of brands, which serves more than 950,000 residential and business customers in 21 states. ValuNet provides Emporia, Kansas consumers with a wide array of connectivity and entertainment services, including all-fiber high-speed internet and advanced Wi-Fi solutions, cable television and phone service.
ValuNet FIBER May 2020 Newsletter
ValuNet FIBER April 2020 Newsletter
Boost your WiFi with these helpful tips!
The world as we know it continues to change. We want to make sure you have the best Internet service possible. Today that means WiFi must work just as well as your wired Internet connection. While having FIBER fast speeds is awesome, getting fiber fast Internet over wireless connections is the real experience we all want. There are several factors that can cause unsatisfactory results with your WiFi even if the fiber connection is working just fine.
Think you’re having trouble? Please consider the following questions. The problem could be simple and easy for you to fix yourself!
- Are you able to pull up a normal browser (google, internet explorer etc), but having issues with a certain application such as a game or a business web site? This could be that the application server is overloaded with all the increased activity of people working and schooling from home. Try the site again at a different time of the day and see if it reacts better.
- Do you own your Router? Have you ever upgraded it recently? Even a fairly new router may have an update available. You can usually go to the manufactures’ web site and they will walk you through the upgrade process.
- How old is your router? Most routers sold more than 3 years ago were not designed to have a large number of devices connected at once. Sometimes they will only allow 5 to 8 devices connected at a time. With all of us stuck at home today some homes have 15 to 20 devices trying to connect! The simple fix, you might need to buy or lease a new router.
- Is your router a dual band router, i.e. does it operate in two frequencies, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz? 5GHz can pass higher bandwidth speeds, but your device must be within line of sight of the router to achieve good connectivity. The 2.4GHz frequency will travel through more walls giving you better connectivity, but the amount of bandwidth will be lower meaning a slower speed. Most new devices such as tablets and smartphones can operate in both frequencies and automatically select which one that has the best signal. Older devices may only work in the slower 2.4 GHz frequency.
- Where is your router placed? It is best to place the router in a central location at least 5 to 7 feet above the floor. Remember, the less walls the router has to penetrate, the better signal your devices will receive. Also, Wifi signals don’t go through metal or mirrors well. The signal will not penetrate and actually bounces back. Avoid placing the router near microwaves, cordless phones and other devices that may interfere with the signal.
- How many devices consistently connect to Wi-Fi? (Don’t forget devices such as Alexa or your Wi-Fi equipped appliances or security devices when you are answering this question). More devices in use at the same time compete for the available amount of bandwidth. It is a good idea to shut off devices not in use as they may use bandwidth even if you are not actively using them.
- How large is your home? (Be sure to include basements, garages, or any commonly used areas of your home in which Internet service is needed) What is the makeup of the walls of your home? Sheetrock is easily penetrated, but older plaster and lathe, stucco or metals stud walls do not allow signal to pass through. ValuNet has our Whole Home WiFi solution using Plume devices that will assure you coverage for the entire living area.
We are ALWAYS available and happy to help you with any questions related to our services. Our intention is to provide your family with the very best support and service available. We are here and ready to help you! Call us anytime at 620-208-5000.
ValuNet FIBER March 2020 Newsletter
ValuNet FIBER February 2020 Newsletter
ValuNet FIBER January 2020 Newsletter
ValuNet FIBER December 2019 Newsletter
ValuNet FIBER November 2019 Newsletter
ValuNet FIBER October 2019 Newsletter
ValuNet FIBER September 2019 Newsletter
ValuNet FIBER August 2019 Newsletter
Get Your Ticket to NFL RedZone
Get your ticket to every touchdown, from every game, all on one channel!
NFL RedZone highlights NFL games on Sunday afternoons delivering the touchdowns and most exciting moments as they happen. When a team goes inside the 20-yard line, NFL RedZone takes you there. The channel keeps fans up-to-date in real time, switching from game to game with live look-ins, highlights, and a chance to see every important play.
NFL RedZone runs for 17 weeks on Sundays starting on September 8th. A subscription is available for a single season fee of $64.95 for residential customers only. Business customers please call for pricing.
Call 620-208-5555 to get started!